Sunday, February 6, 2011

And we share a name, and some picturesque grace

This is hilarious, also horrifying: The Utah Baby Namer. Don't worry, the Little Stranger's name is found nowhere in that fascinating/dreadful index. Neither shall he have a name with a suffix of "aden," nor shall his name sport superfluous 'y's.'

What do you think the ramifications are for a gringa using Spanish names? I know I don't have an obvious reason to do so (like a husband de la raza or raices) but I think so many of them are so beautiful, especially ones with the short "i" sound, like Israel, Isai, IsaĆ­as, Sarai. When I told my family about one of these names I liked over Christmas, they hated on me so profoundly, so scathingly, that it sort of soured me against it.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Hey Rach, Use whatever name you and Jon love because it doesn't really matter to your family. They will fall in love with your baby and forget all about the name. But, at the same time I hear you...you want your family to be as excited about the name as you are. I think all of the names you posted are beautiful. Love you!

V said...

I think Spanish names are beauuuuuuutiful. Plus it's a huge part of our extended family culture and of course your life.
I agree with Debs your family will love your little stranger :) and drama around any name will be fade away.

Jamie said...

Don't let people knock your names! You will pick the perfect one!