Wednesday, May 25, 2011

watermelon girl

We were at the grocery store last night for one of Rachel's "cravings." Everybody says that pregnant women get all kinds of weird cravings, but Rachel seems to only want more candy. An elderly stocker approached Rachel and said, "I see what you're trying to do m'am, you'll need to take that watermelon out from underneath your shirt before you leave the store!" Then he laughed heartily. It was really cute.

Rachel being pregnant is the sweetest thing in the world! She has had such a great pregnancy and I feel really blessed as a result. I always pictured being around a really demanding person who I would sort of need to baby. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but Rachel isn't really like that! She mostly jokes with me about it. When she wants to eat more, she always blames the boy for it. Even when she wants to eat candy, she just says that the baby is asking for it. She's obviously a sassafrass.

It is a magical time with the baby so close. There is anticipation in the air! Sometimes it feels almost normal now. This is strange because I often suddenly realize I'm about to become a father! Its crazy!

My whole life I really have just wanted to be a father. It is my life's aspiration. It feels so surreal knowing that my dream is about to start. It feels like its imaginary....but that is a good feeling. I feel like Rachel brings this out in me, my creative imaginative side. She is the most creative and imaginative person I know and I fall in love with her every time she invents something hilarious or dramatic.

I guess I just feel with all of the stories I've heard and warnings I've received it all came to naught in my experience with Rachel's pregnancy. And that is reassuring. I'm not saying that what people said had no merit, just that sometimes I think that people don't acknowledge just how diverse human experience can be. I hope all of Rachel's pregnancies are so wondrous!

When I think about the pregnancy, one of my favorite memories is of a time when we were at our friends house and Rachel was chasing me around and around....I realized then what a spry pregnant girl Rachel was. I'm so impressed with her.


2 comments:

cassiecasperson said...

I love how you two talk to and about eachother. You need to teach an early marital communication class. You two are just too cute!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the book tip, Rachel! I have seen Ina May's book on the shelf before, but had never heard anything about it.