Friday, July 2, 2010

¡Viva Mexico!

Rachel's family goes to a little place in San Carlos Mexico every three years for a sort of a family reunion on her mothers side. This year, with my impending addition to the family looming, I was invited to go to mexico. Most of her mothers side of the family rents condos near the beach and they get together every night to eat and hang out during the days. I can't believe how fun it is! I wish my family did something like this! We still vacation though, and I love those.

So I used to hate the ocean and the beach but because my beloved is obsessed with the beach, I decided I would like it. So I really tried the whole beach thing out again and I loved it! I love the waves! I still despise the sand but I've gotten used to it and I can now say that I enjoy going to the beach. One of the reasons I've really enjoyed the beach is just how ecstatic and happy Rachel gets at the first view of the ocean. Racher on the beach is a joyous Racher. She has such a child-like glee on the ocean! She is so sweet! I would continue to go to the beach just to see that over and over again.

I'm a little bit distracted when there are so many new things to see. Rachel didn't like that too much. I think I didn't give her as much attention as I usually do. But with twelve people in a condo it is hard for me not to be distracted. I suppose this is normal for Rachel but it is different for me. When you add in all of her extended family there it's insane how many people they are. Most of the extended families have 5+ children and some have over 10. So you can imagine.

But I got a unique opportunity. I got to see Rachel interacting with many different people. As distracted as I was I still looked around for her often. She was always talking with someone in her family. She has a special love for her grandfather and whenever she was interacting with him it would tug on my heartstrings. Rachel is the sweetest girl on earth!

The sun really wore me out and at one point we were watching lost and I totally fell asleep. Rachel is always so sweet to me when I'm asleep. When I fall asleep she becomes the most caring nurturing person in the world. I love that about her.

Today, that last day of the vacation, we were walking back from swimming in and exploring the coastline. Because of a hurricane in the gulf of mexico, the waves were extremely big today. It was really fun, but come afternoon the jelly-fish come out. On the way back, Rachel wanted to get back into the water one more time. So we got in for just a bit before Rachel got stung...bad! There were raised bumps on both of her legs. She was so brave about it! She knelt in a pool of salt water and she tried to neutralize the sting. Then we walked inside and looked up on the internet what to do. Apparently tomatoes and vinegar will neutralize the pain for a little bit of time. So I cut up a tomato and rubbed it on her legs. I was really surprised by how little she complained, though she did feel an unquenchable desire to tell her mother when she just walked in the door. I guess I'm actually always surprised at how well Rachel takes pain, though the more people around the more dramatic she gets.

I loved spending time with Rachel's family. They are so unique! There are so many of them and they all have really different personalities. They're all really nice to me and make it really easy for me to feel comfortable in such a foreign setting. I love my new family and I hope I can keep having such a gratifying relationship with them.


1 comment:

Racher said...

Jonath...you are a sweetinzee heart. I had so much fun with you in Mexico even though sometimes you were the twin who doesn't love me (but loves the estuary). :) Thanks for spending time with Tanny, for being such cunning Mafia, for putting on the MST3Ks for Doug, rubbing tomato juice on my legs, helping me scout for Habanero chips and supporting me in the purchase of Nuestro Senor. You're so amazing...I'm so happy you'll be at all the Mexicos from now on (si Dios quiere). Te quiero con mi alma entero amor!