Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bendita tu luz

I love my Jonathan so much…he is such a joy to me! He is endlessly loving and patient even when I am irrational, despairing or having an outbreak of my Histrionic Personality Disorder (like today, por ejemplo). He has such a kind and open heart for me. He loves to do sweet things for me and surprise me...and he is so surreptitious and clever about it.

When I lived in Mexico, I subsisted mainly off habanero Toreadas chips. It’s difficult for me to put into words the passion I have for them. As I prefer food to be violently spicy, they are blessed chips. I brought about 16 bags of them home to the U.S when I left Puebla (mira la foto abajo). Of course they were all gone within about a week and a half. I've been pining for them ever since.


One cold December morning, Jonathan and I happened upon the kettle-cooked version of the Toreadas at Allens (where The People shop). I rejoiced so intensely that I practically had a stroke, and that morning I felt a re-lighting of a long deceived hope--that I could actually indulge my Toreadas addiction without having to go back to Mexico lindo, Mexico querido. Since then it's been a game for us to explore Latino markets looking for las papas benditas...

A few months ago, Jonathan started hiding bags of chips in random places to surprise me. His preferred method is to hide them in the refrigerator and then ask me to get him something out of it. I open the door and see them on the shelf. My heart pounds at the sight and then melts out of love for my wonderful novio. I am filled with glee. Then I eat the entire bag and am filled with chips. It's a delightful, delicious somatic experience. I want him to know how much I appreciate things like that. I really do.

Amorcito, TQM...gracias por ser tan bueno conmigo!


P.S: All soda pictured belongs to one David Michael Lowe. Don't hate.

3 comments:

Celeste said...

Hee hee. I didn't know you had occasional outbreaks of Histrionic Personality Disorder! I would like to see that sometime! (You know, for the sake of science and my clinical experience) :) I have a question, though: Is the kettle-cooked version as good as the original?

Jonathan said...

NO....Though I've never tried the non-kettle cooked Rachel assures me they are not as good. I prefer kettle cooked, so i don't know that I'd agree if I had tasted the non-kettle coked version.

Drock said...

Jonathan is a very interesting being. He is simultaneously hot and cold at the same time.the only thing cooler than jon is the magical ball of destiny. The only thing hotter than jon is the Toreadas chips that you found at Allens (where The People shop).