Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you

I asked Jonathan what I should write about and he selected the topic of "Our relationship and Star Wars." At first I whined for a better subject, but then I realized that I actually had a lot to say. So let it be written, so let it be done.

When I was really young (like 12-14) I was embarrassingly oblivious to the fact that people thought I was a huge dork for liking Star Wars. Which I was very public about. In various and shameful ways. Such as: I had a Jedi name. I also had a purple Jedi cape and a lightsaber that I made myself, as all Jedi do (green, of course). In 9th grade I convinced a friend to skip class with me so we could go over to Weber State to hear Mark Hamill speak. I was Princess Leia for Halloween in 1996, complete with cinnamon buns on the sides of my head. I entered a gingerbread version of Jabba's palace into a contest at my school, complete with a goopy marshmallow Jabba (with red hots for eyes). I refused to play anything on the piano but the Darth Vader and Star Wars main theme songs. I even wrote my name on my schoolwork as "Rachel Leia" (my middle name is Leigh). It gets worse. I wrote Star Wars fan fiction (AUGH! I can't believe I just revealed that!) Some of my stories were based on myself as a character in the Star Wars universe; others were about Jaina and Jacen, Han and Leia's twins. It gets even worse...I might as well make this a full confession...I used to address my journal entries to "Dear Luke" when I was around 12 years old. OH, THE HORROR!!!!

HIJOLE I WAS EMBARRASSING!!! When it finally dawned on me what a colossal and irredeemable nerd I was, I shaped up quick! My obsession quickly went underground, much like the Rebel Alliance. Jedi who?

Now, one of the best things about my relationship with Jonathan is how many of the parts of myself that I secreted away or bound up in cupboards of my past are freeing themselves and coming out to play. He's so amazing! He likes that I can recite most of the dialog along with the characters in the movies and he thinks it's adorable that I used to write fan fic. We have similar feelings about the wretchedness of the prequels.

We both read stacks and stacks of those Star Wars novels by Kevin J. Anderson, Timothy Barron, etc. when we were young teenagers. I can't tell you how delighted I was the first time I went into his old room at his parents' house and saw the bookshelves stacked thick with Star Wars novels. If my mother didn't have hypomanic episodes where she periodically thieves my stuff and hauls it off to D.I, I would still have those shelves full of Star Wars books, too. I never expected to have that in common with someone.

Jonathan and I also love to quote Star Wars together. Mostly threatening lines.
"It's a trap!"
"Your overconfidence is your weakness." "Your faith in your friends is yours!"
"Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well."
"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen!"
"A sister! So, you have a twin sister!"
"Good...FEEEEL your anger!"
"No...that's not true...that's impossible!"
"That thing's operational!" (HAHA! Sounds suggestive.)
"I am altering the deal! Pray I do not alter it any further." (this is the one I probably use most often, since I, much like Lord Vader, am a notorious promise-breaker).

Another reason our relationship is connected to Star Wars is a *secret* for Jonathan only:

SALACIOUS CRUMB!!!

Well, Jonathan just got here so this seems like a good place to end my Star Wars post. I will leave you with a spiritual thought:

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Rachel,
I still sometimes pretend I'm in the star wars universe. Though I was never wrote fan fiction, I wanted to write fan fiction. I just didn't understand that I could write at all back then. So I didn't. But I sure did daydream about star wars a lot. Sure it's nerdy, but it was way healthy for my imagination when I was younger.

Jonathan said...

Also, don't be ashamed! Why should one be ashamed of perfectly healthy things that they did in their adolescent. Imagination is shamed too often...most because people don't have any or gave it up for what they call "reality." As if reality created healthy habits and imagination unhealthy habits. I love imagination. Everybody should have imagination.

The Blogsmith said...

hahahaha I came back to visit your blog to read your engagement story, but I decided to scroll down and came to this. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it!

I'm sad you went into the closet with Star Wars. Although it sounds like you were pretty extreme, I find your lack of faith... disturbing! ;)